Pages

Monday, August 4, 2008

Roasted Carrots and Red Peppers


Serves 6

12 Carrots
4 Red Bell Peppers
5 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons dried dill

Preheat oven to 400. While waiting for the oven to heat, peal carrots and slice into large diagonal chunks. Depending on the size of the carrot, you should cut only into two to three pieces per carrot. Toss in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Remove from bowl and place on a baking sheet in one layer.

Some people like to leave the red peppers whole while they are roasting in the oven, but I like to cut the top off and seed the red pepper before I roast it.
Once you have prepared your red peppers, you may go ahead and use the same bowl to coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place the red pepper on the same baking sheet if there is room. If not, use another one or something similar.

Roast in oven for about 25 minutes. When finished, you will notice that the the outside of the red pepper has started to blister and the carrots will begin to darken around the edges.

When finished, let cool and slice the red pepper. Then sprinkle the carrots and red peppers with the dill, and you're done!

Delights and Afterthoughts:
Roasting any type of vegetable and adding some seasonings really enhances the flavor and is a pleasant addition to any dish. The measurements that I listed above can be modified to your liking. For example, I usually just take the dried dill and just sprinkle over the veggies from the shaker. I don't usually measure the olive oil either. I just make sure everything is nicely coated enough to make a rub and cook in. But, it's up to you.

I originally made this as a side dish to go with the Baked Polenta with Herbs topped with Monica's Marsala Mushroom Marinara Sauce. It made a pleasant addition to the dish, but I think this would also make a great dish for holiday meals such as Thanksgiving. It can really go with anything. I hope you enjoy!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

MMMMMM... I LOVE carrots and red bell peppers!! I will have to try this SOON!