Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

I Like It Raw


Hi Friends! Today has been absolutely delightful, and I hope that your day has been as well. I started off the day with some organic Yerba Mate that I bought from Infusion Tea, and then did some stuff around the house, and made my way to the sauna. I always feel so refreshed after a visit to the sauna, and nothing feels better than finishing it off with a cold energizing shower immediately after. I feel more awake, my skin looks better, and my body feels lighter and freer. I have this quark where I worry that if I wait to get home and shower after the sauna that it won't work to its full extent. I figure - you sweat out toxins such as sodium and environmental pollutants - but if the sweat dries does it seep back into your body? That's why I like to run right to the shower after. Does anyone know the answer to that? 


It's been so hot out in Florida, so today I was craving some sort of healthy and cold smoothie. I usually make a trip to Cafe 118 Degrees on Saturdays to get one of their raw smoothies. If you don't know about Cafe 118 Degrees, it is a raw food restaurant off of Park Avenue in Winter Park, and everything is fabulous. If you are not familiar with cooking with raw foods, it means that they only use nuts, seeds, fruits, and veggies. All food is vegan, free of processing and refining, and everything is heated below 118 degrees in order to preserve vitamins and enzymes. 


I know what you are thinking.... can't I just eat raw at home? Not like this! Everything is so out of this world and you won't believe what kinds of concoctions the chef can make. It's like nothing you have ever seen. Today, I got the Venus Verde, which is Spinach, Basil, Pear, Banana, and Pineapple. It's my favorite smoothie from there. They also have "milk" shakes, juices, entrees, and raw deserts. I have just been going down the list ordering from their menu. My favorite dish so far has been the Beet Ravioli, but I have tried many things, and there is not one thing that I can say yuck to. My favorite raw desert is the 'Smores'. The Chocolate Hazelnut Tart is amazing and so rich, and the raw ice cream is to die for. 


Below are pictures of the Venus Verde, the Gazpachos, the Fettuccini Alfredo (the noodles are made out of zucchini), the Raspberry Agave Lemonade, and the Chocolate Hazelnut Tart.




You would think that it couldn't get any better than this, but I am off to see Passion Pit!


What are some of your favorite vegan friendly restaurants? What is your experience with raw food, or do you have any recipes that you would like to share? Email Me  me, I'd love to hear from you. 


Talk to you soon!


Namaste, Monica

1 comment:

Beth said...

I'm glad you had a nice day. Enjoy Passion Pit.