Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I'm With Coco....


          
Hi Friends! I'm not sure if you've noticed, but it's been extremely hot this summer - especially in Florida. If I go outside for 5 minutes, it looks like I've just been through a spin class. Last night, my yoga instructor even said, It's not everyday that you come to yoga to cool down!

Speaking of summer heat, one thing that I know I can count on to keep me hydrated is Coconut Water. I've tried a few brands over the last week, and my favorites are O.N.E and Vita Coco. Naked also makes a brand of Coconut Water that uses the same pasteurization process as the others, so I imagine it's just as good. There is another brand of Coconut Water that I wanted to bring to your attention called Zico. I do not recommend this brand because it has added natural flavors and it is from concentrate. I did try it, and it does not taste natural at all - so stay away!

The sweet sweet Coconut Water in these tetrapacks are 100% natural, but not raw. The water is extracted from young green coconuts from Brazil, and they use a process called "flash" pasteurization to eliminate any bacteria, but this does not ruin the nutritional value at all. These products also have no additives, preservatives, added sugar, or natural flavoring - the only ingredient is 100% natural coconut water. Hooray! 





The refreshing  sweet water flavor is not the only reason to drink coconut water. I have found that Coconut Water is the purest liquid second only to water itself. It has more electrolytes than sports drinks, more potassium than a banana, and it is also full of calcium and magnesium. 



Here are a few fun facts about Coconut Water:
  • Helps keep the body cool and at the proper temperature.
  • Helps carry nutrients and oxygen to cells and boosts poor circulation.
  • Regulates the function of the intestine, helping promote smoother skin.
  • Helps replenish your body's fluids after exercising.
  • Helps detoxify your body and boost your immune system.
  • Helps ease stomach pains.
  • Coconut water releives urinary problems and breaks down kidney stones
  • Coconut Water is a universal donor and has been used in blood transfusions
  • It's cholestoral and fat free
  • Regular consumption of coconut water can naturally improve immunity, increase metabolism, alter HDL, and detoxify the body.


I also discovered that in World War II and The Vietnam War coconut water was used intravenously to prolong life when IV solutions were in short supply. It was injected directly to the blood stream to prevent dehydration because coconut water is similar to human plasma. Isn't that fascinating?


I have no idea how it took me so long to discover Coconut Water! 


How often do you drink coconut water? What are your favorite brands? Are there any healthy recipes, drinks, or smoothie recipes that you would like to share? I've never actually attempted to cut open a coconut, and extract the water myself. I'm a little intimidated, but one day I will do it! Have you ever done that? I'd like to hear about it! Make a comment or  Email Me  me, I'd love to hear from you. 


Namaste, Monica

3 comments:

Beth said...

How many calories are in coconut water?

Monica said...

Coconut Water has 40-60 calories depending on the brand! Not many at all.

Unknown said...

I just picked up some coconut water to bring with my lunch tomorrow! :)